Friuli-Venezia-Giulia is the small region in the north east of Italy bordering Austria and Slovenia. It lives in the shadow of the Veneto its bigger and better-known neighbour, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have a lot to offer. The Friulian Dolomites may not be as well-known as their more glamorous sisters to the west, but they are still very beautiful, and the roads are much quieter.
As you can guess from the name, Friuli-Venezia-Giulia was once part of the Venetian republic and there are some lovely, graceful towns.
You could combine a tour of Friuli-Venezia-Giulia with a tour of the Veneto, or take advantage of its international links to put together a multi-country tour taking in Austria, Slovenia and maybe Croatia too.
In this section
- a guide to the Ciclovia Alpe-Adria Radweg the international cycleway that links Salzburg with Grado on the coast of Friuli-Venezia-Giulia
- an overview of cycleways and cycle routes in Friuli-Venezia-Giulia
- a guide to useful websites and other resources
- an interactive map of campsites in the region(opens in new window)
- a listing of campsites with contact details and weblinks.
My Pinterest board for Friuli-Venezia-Giulia